COLORADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM
SYSTEM PRESIDENT’S PROCEDURE
Acceptable Identification Process for Student Services Transactions
EFFECTIVE: November 13, 2008
APPROVED: November 12, 2008
REVISED: August 13, 2014
REFERENCES: Board Policy 4-60, Acceptable Identification Documents for Student Services Transactions
/ Nancy J. McCallin /
Nancy J. McCallin, Ph.D.
This procedure applies to the Colleges within the Colorado Community College System (CCCS).
For each student services transaction, students are required to verify his or her identification before any service is provided. Each College shall implement this procedure, which is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as well as State laws.
For each student services transaction students are required to verify his or her identification before any action is taken. Examples of services transactions include, but are not limited to:
- Financial Aid Inquiries;
- Registration transactions;
- Transcript requests and releases;
- Cashier transactions;
- Testing services;
- Release of any part of the student record as defined by FERPA; and
- Issuance of a College identification card
For student services transactions, a student can verify his or her identification through one of the following:
- A series of questions unique to that particular student;
- Producing a College identification card;
- Producing a high school identification card; or
- Producing some other form of identification that is considered a “secure and verifiable document” which means it must be issued by a state or federal jurisdiction or recognized by the United State government and that it is verifiable by federal or state law enforcement, intelligence, or homeland security agencies.
Examples of “secure and verifiable documents” include, but are not limited to:
- Colorado driver’s license;
- Colorado identification card;
- A valid U.S. Passport;
- Out-of-State driver’s license;
- Foreign passport w/photo;
- Military ID/Common Access Card;
- Cert. of Naturalization w/photo;
- Cert. of Citizenship w/photo;
- Valid I-551;
- Valid EAH/Temporary Resident;
- Refugee/Asylee I-94 w/photo;
- BIA identification card w/photo; or
- VA Card w/photo
Students needing to take quizzes and/or tests in the College testing center will need to provide photo identification as stipulated by the College’s testing center.
College identification cards must state, “For internal Use Only” and can only be issued in person at the student’s home College.
Revising this Procedure
CCCS reserves the right to change any provision or requirement of this procedure at any time and the change shall become effective immediately.