COLORADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM
Employment Practices for Instructors
EFFECTIVE: December 15, 1995
RETITLED: September 14, 2000
RETITLED: August 25, 2001
REVISED: July 1, 2020
REFERENCE: Board Policy (BP) 3-10
/ Joe Garcia /
Joseph A. Garcia, Chancellor
This procedure applies to the employment of instructors within the Colorado Community College System (CCCS or System).
The purpose of this procedure outlines employment practices for instructors within the System.
System and Colleges will work towards implementation of this procedure on or before January 1, 2021.
Each College and CCCOnline shall establish employment practices for instructors in the following areas:
- Recruitment and selection procedures for the employment of instructors to include provisions for evaluation of credentials and qualifications to teach;
- Individual instructor performance evaluations on a regular basis which shall include, at a minimum, student evaluation and classroom observation;
- Appropriate workload guidelines for instructors; and
- Appropriate employee records/files for instructors.
Each College and CCCOnline shall establish the following compensation practices for instructors:
- Establish compensation levels for instructors;
- Define clear criteria for progression up the levels of compensation. These should include, but are not limited to, length of service at the institution and professional development;
- When hiring an instructor who teaches currently at another CCCS College, the hiring College and CCCOnline will uphold the compensation level achieved by instructors at other Colleges;
- When a course is cancelled or removed from an instructor’s schedule, for no fault of their own, within fourteen (14) calendar days of the start of the course, the College and CCCOnline will compensate the instructor 10% of the pay for the course to account for time and effort to prepare for the course. This payment will be made in the next available pay period; and
- Establish a clear process for payment for additional activities by instructors outside of instruction.
Representation and Participation
Each College and CCCOnline shall establish the following representation and participation practices for instructors:
- Guidelines that allow instructors to participate on College and CCCOnline committees. Instructors participating on committees as representatives of fellow instructors shall be compensated for their participation. Instructors not serving in a representative capacity, but choosing to participate on a committee may be compensated for their participation;
- Guidelines that allow instructors to receive notice of and attend College events and professional development opportunities, including those outlined in Board Policy 3-65. The guidelines will clarify the types of professional development for which instructors may be compensated;
- A mechanism by which instructors are officially represented at the College and CCCOnline in order to advise College leadership and, if CCCOnline, System leadership, on issues related to instructors. Instructors who are official representatives will be compensated for participation; and
- The Chancellor will establish a System-wide instructor advisory council with instructor representatives from the Colleges and CCCOnline. The instructor representatives will be chosen to serve on the Council by their fellow instructors as established by each College. The purpose of the Council will be to advise System leadership on issues related to instructors. Members of the Council will be compensated by the System office for their participation, as well as receive travel per diem.
Revising this Procedure
CCCS reserves the right to change any provision or requirements of this procedure at any time and the change shall become effective immediately.