STATE BOARD FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGES AND OCCUPATIONAL EDUCATION
Conditions of Employment for System President
APPROVED: March 12, 2003
EFFECTIVE: March 12, 2003
REVISED: March 10, 2010
REFERENCES: C.R.S. 23-60-101, et seq.; State Fiscal Rules
/ Bernadette Marquez /
The System President shall be provided with an employment contract subject to the conditions of this policy.
This policy applies to the System President.
Term of Contract
The System President’s contract term shall be at the discretion of the Board.
The System President’s contract shall include a job description of the assigned duties and responsibilities of the position.
The Board may decline to renew the contract of the System President. In such case the Board Chair shall give notice of non-renewal.
The initial and the subsequent contracts of the System President can be terminated during the term of the contract by:
- Non-appropriation (as required by C.R.S. 24-19-104 (1.5)(a))
- No-fault separation
- For cause at any time. Cause shall be defined as: violation of laws, conviction of a felony or acceptance of a guilty plea or a plea of nolo contendere to a felony; failure to fulfill the provisions of the employment contract; moral turpitude; or mental or physical disability after reasonable accommodation which substantially interferes with the person’s ability to perform the essential functions of the job. If termination for cause is recommended during the term of the contract, the System President is entitled to notice and the opportunity to be heard prior to such termination.
If System President is terminated for cause, no payments shall be owed or paid except for compensation that was earned prior to termination pro-rated to the date of termination.
The Board shall review the System President’s performance each year. This review may include, but is not limited to, evaluation of the System President’s progress toward achieving goals and adjustment of said goals, if appropriate. The Board shall evaluate the System President’s performance annually based on the following criteria:
- Educational leadership
- Administrative management
- Achievement of System goals, objectives, and initiatives
- Community, business and industry, K-12, and 4 yr. colleges/universities relationships/partnerships
- Leadership skills
The evaluation shall also include feedback/input from a sample of the community college presidents, Board members, direct reports and other constituency groups determined by the Board.
The System President is provided those health and welfare benefits that are provided to Administrators in the Board’s policy on employee benefits.
- Salary: The System President’s base salary shall be set by the Board; the System President will be eligible for:
- Annual performance-based increases that shall be base-building.
- Annual non-base building performance bonus of up to 15% of base salary to recognize exemplary accomplishments/service that add value to the System and which are above and beyond job expectations.
- The System President may be reimbursed for the cost of commercial liability insurance.
The System President is eligible for annual leave, sick leave, bereavement leave, paid holidays, jury leave, and military training leave as provided for Administrators in the Board’s policy on employee benefits.
In addition, the Board may grant the System President paid leave to provide professional services to individuals or to non-state institutions or agencies. If the System President receives compensation for such services, the compensation may be retained by the System President provided that:
- The professional activity is not in conflict with and contributes to the overall image and professional stature of the System, and to the professional development of the System President;
- The total compensation retained during any fiscal year does not exceed one tenth (1/10) of the System President’s annual salary; and
- The System President’s absence will not be detrimental to the growth, development, and stability of the System.
The Board may grant the System President leave of absences with or without pay for up to one month under such terms and conditions as the Board may specify.