Brought to you by CCCOnline’s Center for Academic Excellence
CCCOnline’s annual CONNECT conference was held on Friday, Oct. 20, at the DoubleTree Denver Tech Center in Greenwood Village. This year’s theme was Open Educational Resources, and participants enjoyed a stimulating keynote from Dr. Cable Green, Director of Open Education at Creative Commons.
The day also provided participants with sessions covering innovation, teaching online, course design, and CCCOnline Insights. Some instructors took advantage of the opportunity to record on-the-spot videos for their online courses, and everyone had the opportunity to participate in division meetings, meet our sponsors, and network!
Congratulations to our Instructional Excellence Award Winners 2017!
We would like to honor and congratulate the 2017 Instructional Excellence Award Winners:
The Program Award Winners are Ann Snell, Cynthia Calongne, Melinda Green, JoAnn Gilliland, Diane Burtlow-Trujillo, Owen Smiley, Joe Stommel, Mandy Geddes, Derek Stanik,
Mindy Gibson, Laura Howe, Kristin Hess, Tonia Lock, Margaret O’Keefe, Amy Tilson, and Kristin Quadracci.
The Division Award Winners are JoAnn Gilliland, Mandy Geddes, and Tonia Lock.
Kudos to all these instructors for such outstanding work in their classrooms!
A Warm Welcome from CCCOnline!
John Schmahl, Director of Student Services, and Dr. Tina Parscal, Executive Director, welcomed instructors and provided guidance for the day’s events.
Dr. Cable Green: Morning Keynote!
We were honored to present Dr. Cable Green, Director of Open Education at Creative Commons. Dr. Green gave a fascinating talk on OER and implications for community colleges and higher education.
A popular moment during our concluding reception: we drew 20 lucky winners’ names for door prizes. A list of these winners, prizes, and sponsors is below!
Congratulations to the winners of our fabulous prizes:
Laura Audrey, Rufina Butler, Sarah Clay, Maggie Gaddis, Mandy Geddes, Elizabeth Grulke, Jessica Kastenek, Elizabeth Kerr, Jennifer Ketterling, Timothy Kirchoff, Donna LaChey, Kirsten Messer, Kristine Mize-Spanzky, Navneet Paul, Ann Piletic, Kathy Ryan, Owen Smiley, Mark Smith, Heather Tobin, and Lorraine Yost.
Giveaways included gift cards, OontZ Bluetooth speakers, Amazon Echo Dots, Kindle Paperwhite E-reader, Kindle Fire Tablet, and a one-night stay at the DoubleTree.
Many thanks to our prize sponsors!: Brainfuse, Brightspace by D2L, Carolina Distance Learning, DoubleTree Hotel-DTC, eScience, TurnItIn, VitalSource, and Wiley Global Education.
Take Our CONNECT Conference Survey!
Conference participants: in case you missed it, here’s a link to our 5-minute conference survey.
[For those who registered for the conference but couldn’t attend, we have a very quick survey for you as well.]
Both surveys are open until Nov. 17 at 11:59 pm. We appreciate your feedback!
Special Thanks to Our Sponsors!
We are grateful for our sponsors’ generous contributions that make our annual conference possible!
- Platinum sponsor: eScience Labs
- Gold sponsor: Carolina Distance Learning
- Silver sponsors: Brainfuse, D2L, Turnitin, Vital Source, Wiley
- Bronze sponsors: EvaluationKIT, Full Tilt Ahead, McGraw Hill Education, Pearson, The NROC Project
- Go Green sponsor: Luma
And Finally: Missed the Conference (Or Just Missed a Great Session)? Register for our Post-CONNECT Conference Webinars!
CCCOnline will be repeating selected sessions from the conference as webinars:
- CCCOnline CONNECT Session/Lightning Webinar: Online Tools for Teachers – Nov. 9, 2017, 4:00-4:20 pm
- CCCOnline CONNECT Session/Lightning Webinar: Teaching Methods in Action: Adapting to Meet Student Social Learning Styles – Nov. 16, 2017, 1:00-1:20 pm
- CCCOnline CONNECT Session/Lightning Webinar: Feedback Forwarded – Nov. 17, 2017, 1:00-1:20 pm
- CCCOnline CONNECT Session/Lightning Webinar: Bring Out the Sniffer Dogs: Finding and Re-Engaging Missing Students – Dec. 6, 2017, 1:00-1:20 pm
- CCCOnline CONNECT Session/Lightning Webinar: What Happens When Technology Goes Wrong? – Jan. 10, 2018, 1:00-1:20 pm
- CCCOnline CONNECT Session/Lightning Webinar: The Importance of Instructor Tone in Student Interactions: Say It Like You Mean It – Feb. 7, 2018, 1:00-1:20 pm
*Video of an additional post-CONNECT session/lightning webinar on Nov. 1, PowToons: Bring Fun and Engagement to News Items, will be posted to our Webinar Archives.
CCCS staff and instructors (using their S number) may register for these webinars at the Training and Professional Development Database and find registration details and instructions on the Registration Process page.
By Elizabeth Dzabic, Professional Development Coordinator at CCCOnline